6 Reasons Why Your Car Key Isn’t Working
Everybody’s had one of those days. You may be rushing to go somewhere, and as you attempt to start your car, or even just unlock it, you realize that your car key isn’t functioning at all. When you think that you may be locked out of your car, your mind is in panic mode- what are some reasons this may be and how can I solve it? Sometimes, the answer can come easily, while other times it can take some time to figure out what the root of the problem is. Since we’ve all been there, let’s have a quick discussion of why your car key may not be working, and if you need a key replacement. If you are looking for “car keys near me,” Locksmith Keyless is a top key and lock specialist in the Miami area. Call Locksmith Keyless today for your locksmith needs!
Why your Car Key Isn’t Working
There are many possible reasons why your car key isn’t working properly, and below we will discuss some of them:
- Damaged Lock- If your car key is not working when you try to unlock the car, then the lock itself may possibly be damaged. If your car is newer, then the chances of this are less due to key fobs and keyless entry remotes. But if your car is an older model that still requires a key lock, then this issue may be prominent, since the lock could be faulty or worn down. Car door locks work in conjunction with keys, meaning that if you are constantly using your car key to physically unlock your car door, the internal mechanism of the lock will wear down over time.
- Damaged Key- Another main reason your car key may not be working is due to the car key being damaged. While many people may think of damaged keys as a broken key that is split into pieces, a damaged key does not necessarily have to be broken in pieces. Since the grooves in a key correspond to the internal mechanisms of the lock or the ignition that it is used for, the grooves can wear down over time. A lot of people don’t pay enough attention to their locks and keys to realize the effect that constant use may have on them. Coupled with a lack of maintenance, there is a high probability of keys being damaged.
- Faulty Ignition Cylinder- Your key isn’t just used to lock your car doors, but is also what starts your ignition. Car keys are not meant to exist on their own, which means that for every key that exists, there is a lock or mechanism that the key is meant to work with. If your car key does not work properly when inserted into the ignition, your car key may not be the problem but rather your ignition. Before you look for a key replacement, make sure that your ignition isn’t the source of the issue.
Looking for “Car Keys Near Me”?
- Worn Out Key Fob Batteries- Another reason that your car keys may not be working could be due to the fact that the batteries in your key fob or keyless entry remote don’t have juice. This problem has an easy solution- make sure to replace your batteries in a timely manner.
- Internal Damage To Key Fob- The key fob depends on communication between a transmitter and a receiver, so if one of these components is faulty, your car key will work properly. If there is something wrong with the internal electronics of your car, or if there is damage to either the receiver or transmitter, then your car key will not be able to function.
- The Key Has Not Been Programmed- Even though traditional keys have to be paired to cars, technological advancements in the automotive industry have changed this pairing. Car keys are paired in a way that is more secure than before, since transmitters are now used. If the key has not been programmed properly, then it may not work for your car.
Contact Us Today
There are many reasons why your car keys may not work properly. If you are looking for “car keys near me” in the Miami area, call Locksmith Keyless today for your key replacement needs!